Salt is one of those ingredients in the food that is used for many thousand years. It is known for its flavouring agent and food preservatives. Other than that, it is also known for providing flavour, texture, and enhancing food colour. There is a lot of confusion on that is sodium is bad for weight loss or not, eating salt can increase water weight in your body, not your actual weight. Hence, eating too much salt has many side effects.
Still, in scale, it seems to rise, but it all temporary, salt or sodium has nothing to do with your weight loss or weight gain. It just adds flavour to your food. But it does not mean that you can consume as much salt as you want, especially if you are taking it in processed foods. If you consume excessive amount of salt then your body will crave the salty food more and more and can be very dangerous for your body.
Side effects of overeating salt:
There are various overeating salt side effects; they can be short-term and long-term depending upon your immune system.
Eating too much salt side effects, which are short term, include swollen hand, feet, or swollen face. It makes your body feel bloated because of excessive water retention this is a short-term side effect we can cure this by drinking lots of water so that it gets rid off all excessive salt and reduce your swollen state.
Eating too much salt side effects, which are long term, includes many severe problems, including kidney failures. It increases your blood pressure, which gives birth to many heart-related difficulties and strokes. Its long-term side effects can harm you in the long run, and sometimes it will also lead to death. You can cure this by intaking lesser sugar in your diet and drinking lots and lots of water.
6 Sneaky Signs You Might Be Eating Too Much Salt:
- Experiencing Stomach Ulcers
- Get Frequent Headaches
- Can’t Seem to “Get Regular”
- Always Feel Bloated
- Have High Blood Pressure
- Always Thirsty
Other health problems related to salt are :
- An intake of salt too much can lead to many skin related issues like too much salt making your skin itchy
- Too much of salt cause muscle pain and make your body so week and swollen.
- They can be short-term and long-term depending upon your immune system.
- These are short term, include swollen hand, feet, or swollen face. It makes your body feel bloated because of excessive water retention. this is a short-term side effect.
- These are long term and it includes many severe problems, such as kidney failures. It increases your blood pressure, which gives birth to many heart-related difficulties and strokes. This long-term side effects can harm you in the long run, and sometimes it will also lead to death.
- If you consume too much salt then after some times your body will crave for salty foods which can cause increase in cholesterol.
- It will also give you swelling in your body at different place.
- If you take excessive amount of salt your blood pressure increase more and more and that can be very dangerous for your health.
Salt Poisoning – Eating too much Salt Side Effects:
Salt poisoning is like a hangover, resulting in excessive consumption of sodium in the form of solid or liquid. The medical term used for salt poisoning is Hypernatremia. Salt poisoning symptoms are not sometimes very acute and occasionally deadly, but it is dangerous and fatal. Salt poisoning leads to increase heart rate, seizures, and muscle spasms, and it even leads to brain damage and death.
People with metabolic disorders and children are the most risk to Hypernatremia, which is due to the intake of excessive intake of a tablespoon. In adults, it is mainly due to the consumption of soy sauce. Salt poisoning symptoms are dry mouth fatigue, restlessness, and the most common is thirst.
How To Reduce Salt Intake?
As all know that blood pressure rise with age. But if you take an excessive amount of salt, it will increase the blood pressure more and more, and that can be very dangerous. So there are some cure that you can quickly reduce the excessive amount of salt from your body.
- You have to buy fresh meat, fruit and vegetable and should add more veggies in your meal with a decreasing amount of salt.
- You should take sweet food more than spicy food. This will help you to reduce the amount of salt and help you to reduce the amount of salt.
- Reduce your portion size because less food means less sodium.
- You can add other spices in your food instead of salt that will also help you.
- If you buy canned food, then you must have to avoid this because canned food containing sodium in a large amount such as beans, tuna, vegetables, so avoid this.
- So if you follow these things you can reduce the amount of salt.
Learn some home remedies to reduce salt in the body.
Consumption of too much salt can lead to many health problems which may lead to your death also, so it is necessary to reduce salt in your body. If you take any doctor help they may charge high for that and give some supplement. Anyway, this may harm you so here are some home remedies to reduce salt in the body
- Drink lots and lots of water it eliminates excessive salt in your body
- Increase your magnesium consumptions, it is an essential mineral when it comes to water retention
- Intake potassium-rich foods help water retention in two ways first by increasing urine production and decreasing sodium level in the body
- Refined carbs lead to more water retention so try to avoid as much as refined carbs
- Eat less salt by avoiding processed foods as they contain a high level of salt in it
- Increased consumption of vitamin b6 intake, as it includes lots of other vitamins that help reduce water retention in the body.
Relationship between salt and weight loss
So there is a lot of confusion on that is sodium is bad for weight loss or not. So in my opinion, it is not, eating salt can increase water weight in your body, not your actual weight. Still, in scale, it seems to rise, but its all temporary, salt or sodium has nothing to do with your weight loss or weight gain. It just adds flavor to your food.
But it doesn’t mean that you can consume as much salt as you want, especially if you are taking it in processed foods. And I suggest that you should take 1500mg of salt daily, not more than that, and instead of consuming white salt, try to consume black salt. It retains less water, and is more beneficial than white salt. So your assumption that is sodium is wrong for weight loss is a myth.
Frequently Asked Question:
Ques- What happens if you overeat salt at once?
Ans– It sometimes depends and will affect a short time by bloating your body or making you thirstier. Sometimes it will affect you for long term like it will suddenly increase your blood pressure, higher the blood pressure higher. Hence, it will affect your heart, kidney. Hence, try not to overeat salt at once.
Ques- What happens if you have little sodium?
Ans– If you have little sodium, it will lead to heart failure, kidney failure, it will lead to an increase in your cholesterol level. There will be an imbalance acid level in your blood. It contains iodine, which is an essential nutrient for the body to functions. So don’t reduce salt intake that much that it will lead to health problems
Ques – How long does salt bloat last?
Ans – If you take too much salt that it will bloat your body. Generally it will last for 3-4 days to debloat water retention in your organization. You can do this by drinking lots and lots of water. It will eliminate salt in your body and will debloat it and do some workout also
Ques- How much salt is bad for you?
Ans – Intake of too much of salt can lead to many kinds of health problems so world health organization (WHO) suggest that one should not consume 5 grams of salt per day. Hence, Its proven that intake of too much salt can lead to many health problems
Ques -How to flush out salt from the body overnight?
Ans – You can flush out salt from body overnight by drinking lot and lots of water, by doing some workout by eating food which is rich in potassium like bananas, lemons, green vegetables, and other types of citrus food. It will help to retain water from your body as soon as possible
Ques – How to counteracts sodium?
Ans – We can counteract sodium or reduce salt or sodium by adding a pinch of sugar into soups or sauces with a high concentration of salt in it. You can add some cream to it too make it creamy and less salty
Ques- What happens if you eat a tablespoon of salt?
Ans – Eating a tablespoon of salt at once can be dangerous it will immediately swell your body. In short, it will increase water retention in your body. It will bloat your body, and sometimes it will lead increase in your bread pressure. Hence, eating too much salt will only bring side effects to your body.
Ques -What should I do if I overate salt?
Ans – You should try to increase intake of potassium, magnesium or vitamin b6. It will help you in reducing salt intake and try to avoid processed food or refined carbs. It will increase salt intake in your body workout more often so that overeating salt will not affect you that much
Salt act as an essential ingredient in our diet. It has iodine, which is a critical nutrient in our body. We should take salt in the right amount, not so much and not too little if you choose salt too small. In other words, if there is less salt consumption, it will lead to too many health problems. These problems are low blood pressure, heart failure, and kidney failures. Take too much salt as the excess of everything is terrible. The intake of salt in higher amounts can make your body bloated and many other serious health problems. Hence, sometimes lead to death, so consumption of salt at the right price is significant otherwise eating too much salt only have more and more side effects.
There is no benefit if you consume too much salt. It will only increase your blood pressure and make your bones week. It will increase the risk of heart disease, make your liver week, and your body will crave for salty foods. So there is no benefit to intake too much salt.